There’s no way around it — our bodies change (sometimes drastically) as we age, including decreasing testosterone levels. It can be hard to find the energy to juggle work, exercise, and family commitments each week. However, regular use of testosterone boosters is one viable solution to fight back against low-T.
If you’re over 50, paying attention to your testosterone levels is core to your health and happiness. Testosterone naturally decreases as you age, negatively affecting muscle and bone mass, libido, and sperm production. However, the importance of testosterone extends well beyond muscle mass and libido.
Studies have found that men with low testosterone levels may have a decline in verbal memory and spatial abilities and an increased risk of developing dementia. For example, a study published in the journal “JAMA Neurology” in 2016, which included over 600 older men, found that men with lower testosterone significantly increased the risk of developing verbal memory impairment. Another study published in the “Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism” in 2007 found that men with low testosterone levels had a decline in verbal memory and spatial abilities, as well as a reduction in brain volume in certain regions.
Other symptoms of low testosterone can include:
- Hair loss
- Erectile dysfunction
- Increased body fats
- Low blood counts
- Mood changes
- Reduced semen volume
- Decreased sex drive
What’s the takeaway? Pay close attention to your testosterone levels if you want a healthy body and mind.
Testosterone production is a highly complex health topic, but testosterone-boosting supplements offer an easy and practical option to develop and maintain a healthy body and mind.
To that end, I’ve done the research to help you compare the six best testosterone-boosting supplements for men over 50. So let’s dig into these products and start tackling low-T!
6 best testosterone boosters for men over 50
#1. TestoPrime: The best of the best
I’ve researched and written extensively about TestoPrime. It’s the best testosterone booster I’ve ever used, and I continue to use it.
As mentioned above, I only recommend testosterone boosters with natural ingredients, and TestoPrime is no exception. TestoPrime is a natural testosterone-boosting supplement developed with high-quality ingredients, all aimed at tacking low-T.
Before taking any supplement, you must know what you’re putting into your body. Here are the 12 natural ingredients in TestoPrime.
- D-Aspartic Acid: This is a core ingredient in many testosterone boosters, helping with muscle mass.
- Panax Ginseng: One of my favorite plants! It’s a perennial plant typically found in northeastern China and Korea. This helps increase libido and energy. It can also improve cognitive function, including memory.
- KSM 66 Ashwagandha Extract: A wonderful herb that originated in India. It’s widely used to help reduce anxiety and stress by lowering cortisol levels. This study from the “American Journal of Men’s Health” found that men taking ashwagandha extract daily for a week saw a 14.7% increase in testosterone levels.
- Fenugreek: Another wonderful herb! It can help increase libido but also has an added benefit, anti-inflammatory properties! For men over 50, achy muscles and joints are a harsh reality. Inflammation in the male body is caused by various things, including the foods we eat, and Fenugreek is a practical herb that can help fight back against sore muscles and joints.
- Green Tea Extract: Back to plants! Green Tea extract comes from the same plant that produces the drink, Camellia Sinensis. It can help improve attention, memory, and reaction time.
- Pomegranate Extract: Can’t leave out the fruits! Pomegranate extract is another ingredient that this anti-inflammatory.
- Vitamin D: Amazing nutrient that helps the body to use and absorb Calcium (strong bones!). It can also help improve sleep.
- Zinc: Helps balance the testosterone in your body (If you want some heavy reading on the benefits of Zinc in the male body, check out this study from the “Journal of Reproduction & Infertility.”)
- Vitamin B6: Great for the production of serotonin, helping with mood regulation
- Vitamin B5: Incredibly useful for boosting energy levels
- Garlic Extract: Another ingredient that helps fight back against inflammation
- Black Pepper Extract: Helps with cognitive function and weight management
Important Reminder: It’s best to take TestoPrime (or any other testosterone booster) with a meal. There’s a chance you could upset your stomach if your tank is empty.
What else should you know about TestoPime?
- No prescription required: You can easily buy TestoPrime online without an extra trip to the doctor. However, you should consider consulting a medical professional before starting any new supplement regime.
- Lifetime guarantee: The creators of TestoPrime stand behind their product. If you are unsatisfied with TestoPrime and its results, they’ll give you 100% of your money back.
- Simple schedule: You do not need to cycle TestoPrime. It’s a supplement that you can take daily without any fuss. Our recommendation is to take 4 TestoPrime capsules daily as you eat breakfast.
- Manufacturing guidelines: TestoPrime is manufactured in FDA-approved facilities in the United States and the United Kingdom.
- No subscription required: With TestoPrime, you can buy as much or as little as you need. They do not lock you into any ongoing subscription, which I love.
- Weight loss: For those who can stand to lose a few pounds (me included!), TestoPrime’s research suggests that it can help your body convert fat into energy. Obviously, I would still recommend maintaining a regular workout schedule, but this is a nice cherry on top.
How much TestoPrime cost?
A one-month supply of TestoPrime costs $59.99 online, so it’s a very affordable option to test out. Remember, they have a lifetime guarantee — if you’re not happy, they’ll give you your money back. Another great thing about TestoPrime is that they offer volume discounts if you spend more. You can order a 3-month supply for $119.99 and a 5-month supply for $179.99. There’s way more bang for your buck versus our runner-up product, Prime Male (discussed below).
PROS: TestoPrime is the best of the best. If you’re looking for a balanced ingredient and dosage profile at a fantastic price point (especially the 3 and 5-month supplies), we highly recommend trying TestoPrime if you’re over 50.
CONS: TestoPrime does not contain magnesium, which can be found in other testosterone boosters. If you’re concerned about magnesium, consider your regular diet. Several foods can increase magnesium levels, including spinach, kale, salmon, and brown rice (chocolate too, but go easy on this one!).
#2. Prime Male: A strong runner up
Prime Male is another leading testosterone-boosting supplement that can help support and increase testosterone levels, helping to burn fat, build muscle mass, and increase libido.
Prime Male is our runner-up recommendation, offering a well-balanced formula. It's a great all-around testosterone booster.
Like TestoPrime, Prime Male consists of 12 safe and natural ingredients, but there are key differences to call out. Here are the ingredients in Prime Male that are not included in TestoPrime.
- Boron: This micronutrient, included in Prime Male, has been shown to increase testosterone, according to “Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal.”
- Korean Red Ginseng Extract: This herb has been shown to improve male sexual health. Basically, it can improve sperm count and motility. The complete research on Koren Red Ginseng can be found in the journal “Spermato Genesis.” (Yes, that’s the real name. No one ever said testosterone research was glamorous!)
- Luteolin: This flavonoid has shown the ability to reduce inflammation and improve memory.
- Magnesium: I love that Prime Male has magnesium. In general, males do not get enough magnesium. It not only helps support testosterone, but it’s great for bone density and improved sleep.
- Nettle Root: This weed (way better than the ones in your yard!) helps support testosterone levels and prostate health.
- Vitamin K2: Amazing vitamin for bone health, skin health, and maintaining cognitive function.
Overall, Prime Male has strong ingredients that can help anyone over 50 fight back against low-T.
What else should you know about Prime Male?
- No prescription required: Prime Male can be purchased online without a prescription. However, as I mentioned with TestoPrime, you should consult a medical professional before starting any new supplement regime.
- Lifetime guarantee: The creators of TestoPrime stand behind their product. If you are unsatisfied with TestoPrime and its results, they’ll give you 100% of your money back.
- Simple schedule: Prime Male is a supplement you can take daily without fuss. Four capsules per day are the recommended dosage.
- Vegan-friendly: Prime Male is vegan-friendly because the capsules are made with vegetable cellulose.
- No subscription required: Similar to TestoPrime, Prime Male is not a subscription service. There are no long-term commitments, and you can start with a one-month supply.
How much does Prime Male cost?
PrimeMale is a bit more expensive than TestoPrime. A one-month supply costs $75, while a 2-month supply will run you $150. As you can tell from the pricing, you are not receiving any volume discount for ordering more.
If you’re still debating between TestoPrime and Prime Male, you can find our fuel breakdown on these two testosterone boosters here.
The significant things to evaluate when comparing TestoPrime and Prime Male are the ingredients with and lifetime warranty. In our ranking research, we give the edge to TestoPrime because of how strongly they stand behind their product with a lifetime warranty.
EvenaMed Tip: One factor that hurts PrimeMale is the fact they do not offer a guarantee or warranty of any kind. As mentioned above, TestoPrime offers an industry-leading lifetime warranty on their testosterone boosters. If you believe Prime Male is a better fit for you, my suggestion would be to order a one-month supply first. Try it out and see how you feel before spending more money on a 2 or 3-month supply
PROS: Prime Male is a solid runner-up. It has a balanced ingredient profile, including Magnesium, which you won’t find in TestoPrime.
CONS: The only con for me is that they do not offer a guarantee or warranty. If they did, Prime Male could give TestoPrime a run for its money, despite being a bit more expensive.
#3. Testogen: The bronze medalist on the podium
Next up in the rankings is Testogen — our #3 ranked testosterone booster for men over 50. Testogen is another market-leading natural testosterone booster. While the first 2 testosterone boosters discussed here have 12 ingredients, Testogen is our first separate from that trend, offering 11 safe and natural ingredients.
We tested 27 testosterone boosters and Testogen received the bronze medal.
Testogen, from an ingredient perspective, is effectively a combination of the ingredients in TestoPrime and PrimeMale. Here are the 11 ingredients:
One crucial factor is that Testogen is available in both pills and drops. As I mentioned above, TestoPrime and PrimeMale only come in capsule form, so if drops are more your thing, Testogen is a great option.
How much does Testogen cost?
Another great thing about Testogen is the pricing structure, which is very similar to TestoPrime. Testogen, Prime Male, and TestoPrime all come in around $60 for a one-month supply. However, if you recall above, Testoprime offers volume discounts, and Testogen does the same. You can order a 3-month supply of Testogen for $119.99 and a 5-month supply for $179.99. Again, the pricing structure is significantly better than PrimeMale.
What else should you know about Testogen?
- No prescription required: Similar to testosterone boosters we’ve already covered, Testogen does not require a prescription. However, as with any new supplement regimen, I recommend consulting a medical professional before beginning use.
- Customer Reviews: Testogen does a great job showcasing reviews on its website. I’d highly encourage you to review the testimonials on their site to understand
- Manufacturing guidelines: Testogen is manufactured in FDA-approved facilities in the United States and the United Kingdom.
- No subscription required: Testogen is not a monthly subscription. Order what you need when you need it — super easy.
- Bundles: As I already mentioned, Testogen offers both capsules and drops, and you can buy a combo bundle that includes both. If you travel a lot, the drops have a smaller form, making them a little easier to pack versus the bottles.
- Money-back guarantee: Testogen does offer a 100-day money-back guarantee on all purchases over one month’s supply. This is not as strong as TestoPrime’s lifetime guarantee, but it’s nice that Testogen’s manufacturer offers it and confidently stands behind their product.
- Ordering experience: This is a minor factor, but Testogen’s site makes it easy to track your orders. It’s definitely better than TestoPrime’s and Prime Male’s online tracking systems, in my opinion.
Overall, Testogen is a great choice if you’re looking to increase testosterone to restore your energy levels, build muscle and strength, and revive your sex drive.
PROS: Overall, Testogen has a balanced ingredient profile, similar to TestoPrime and Prime Male. I love that it’s available in capsule and drop form (you can purchase both in a bundle from their site), and the 100-day money-back guarantee, while not industry-leading, is pretty strong overall.
CONS: Testogen does not have KSM 66 Ashwagandha, which has shown strong results in clinical studies to increase testosterone in men.
Also, if you’re still debating, check out our in-depth review of Testogen versus TestoPrime.
#4. TestoFuel: 4th place ain’t so bad
The reality is that you can’t go wrong with any of the testosterone boosters thus far (Teaser alert — we’ll get the one that I feel so-so about), and TestoFuel is no different. It’s a great option if you’re over 50 and looking to restore energy, muscle, and sex drive.
If you want quick muscle growth, go with TestoFuel. It has a great formula for bulking.
Starting with the ingredients (remember, always know what you’re putting in your body), TestoFuel contains many ingredients we already covered with other testosterone boosters. One difference is that TestoFuel introduces us to Oyster Extract, which is an excellent source of zinc (essential for the production of testosterone). Another benefit of Oyster Extract, especially if you’re over 50, is that it’s a good source of iron, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
EvenaMed Tip: Of all the testosterone boosters on the list, TestoFuel is marketed more towards increasing and sustaining lean muscle. If you love lifting weights and are looking for a testosterone booster that emphasizes muscle central, TestoFuel is a great product. However, if you exercise but lifting weights is not your core focus, I’d suggest looking closer at TestoPrime, Prime Male, and Testogen.
What else should you know about TestoFuel?
- No prescription required: We’ve seen this one a few times already, but it’s good to call out again. TestoFuel does not require a prescription, but please consult a medical professional first.
- No subscription required: TestoFuel is not a monthly subscription. Order what you need when you need it.
- Customer Reviews: Like Testogen, TestoFuel does a great job showcasing reviews on its website. I’d highly encourage you to read a few.
- Muscle building focus: Definitely the best testosterone booster for men over 50 who are hyper-focused on building lean muscle
How much does TestoFuel cost?
TestoFuel is the cheapest option on the list, with a one-month supply costing $52. However, you can see no volume discount as you jump up to the 2 ($104) and 3 ($156) month supplies. Compare this to a testosterone booster like TestoPrime, where you can get a 3-month supply for $119.99 and a 5-month supply for $179.99. You can get a lot more for your money versus TestoFuel.
PROS: If you’re a gym rat focused on lifting weights, I love TestoFuel as a testosterone booster.
CONS: If you’re over 50, bulking up isn’t always your time priority. If that’s the case, other testosterone boosters are a better fit for improved mood, memory, and sex drive.
#5. Testodren: Sneaking into the Top 5
C’mon, we’re joking. Testodren is featured on this list because it is one of the better testosterone boosters currently on the market. Like Testofuel, Testodren is marketed more as a testosterone booster to improve gym performance. First, look at the ingredients and how they differ from other testosterone boosters we’ve tested.
Fenugreek is the core ingredient of Testodren, but the manufacturer uses a patented purification process to increase the purity of a compound called Protodioscin. This is a compound found within Fenugreek that helps boost testosterone levels. However, the manufacturer of Testodren argues that Protodioscin levels in Fenugreek can jump around, and their purification process allows for more consistency and potency in the formula.
Testodren also introduces us to Eurycoma Longifolia as an ingredient for the first time. This is the scientific name Tongkat Ali, a type of ginseng. This ginseng has been known to increase libido in men over 50, so it’s an excellent addition when compared to other ingredients in testosterone boosters.
Important: One factor that makes Testodren unique is that you only take one pill per day. For example, TestoPrime’s recommended dosage is 4 pills per day. Testodren definitely makes daily usage simpler.
How much does Testodren cost?
Tetsodren does offer volume discounts, which I like. A one-month supply costs $59.95, similar to many testosterone boosters we’ve already discussed. Testodren’s 3-month supply costs $119.95 (or $39.98 per month) and $199.95 (or $33.32 per month) for a 6-month supply. Overall, the monthly cost of Testodren when ordering a 6-month supply is terrific and slightly better than TestoPrime’s pricing, our top-ranked testosterone booster (Their 5-month supply is $35.99 per month).
What else should you know about Testodren?
- No prescription required: Per every testosterone booster we’ve reviewed, there is no prescription required for Testodren. However, as with any new supplement regimen, I recommend consulting a medical professional before beginning use.
- Money-back Guarantee: While Testodren’s money-back guarantee is not as strong as some other testosterone boosters, they have a 67-day policy, which is excellent. Testodren will refund your money if you’re unhappy with the results.
- Improved gym training: If you’re over 50 and an active weight lifter, Testodren can help you train harder and longer to increase strength and stamina.
- The most straightforward schedule of them all: As mentioned above, one pill per day. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
- Manufacturing guidelines: Testodren is manufactured in FDA-approved facilities in the United States.
- Clinical studies: Testodren’s manufacturer has conducted three separate human clinical trials. In one of the studies, free testosterone levels increased by 72.87% in 12 weeks among a group of aging men.
PROS: Testodren is an excellent option to consider alongside Testofuel if your focus is lifting weights and building muscle strength. One pill per day is also very convenient.
CONS: If you’re over 50, low testosterone is causing other issues beyond gym performance. I like a well-balanced supplement to help improve memory, mood, strength, and sex drive.
#6. Nugenix Total-T: Last but not least?
If you’ve made it this far, I applaud you for taking low-T seriously! Nugenix Total-T is probably the most recognizable brand within the testosterone booster market. Nugenix consistently runs TV ad campaigns with Frank Thomas and Doug Flutie, and it can be bought on GNC and Amazon. However, we don’t care about the marketing campaigns — all we care about is whether or not Nugenix Total-T can help increase testosterone if you’re over 50.
First, let’s deal with the ingredients. Nugenix Total-T has many of the same ingredients we’ve already covered, including Boron, Fenugreek, Vitamin B6, and Zinc. Our problem with Nugenix Total-T is not the ingredients; however, I do have a problem with the dosages of those ingredients.
While Nugenix Total-T does include Zinc, it’s just not enough. Remember, your body does not store Zinc, so you must get it somewhere. If red meat is a big part of your diet, there’s a good chance you’re getting plenty of Zinc. However, if your diet is light on Zinc, Nugenix Total-T will not help much because it only includes 1 mg. You really should be trying to get 11 mg of Zinc in your body per day. I also like to see Vitamin D and Magnesium included in a testosterone booster for males over 50, but you won’t find these ingredients in Nugenix Total-T.
Perhaps the most mystifying thing about Total T’s formula is that it does not include D-Aspartic Acid, a common ingredient in testosterone boosters. Several medical studies, including one from the “Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition,” have shown that D-Aspartic Acid can increase levels of luteinizing hormone, which sparks testosterone production by the testes.
To put it simply, Nugenix Total-T’s ingredients and dosages don’t stack up against the other testosterone boosters on this list, in my opinion.
How much does Nugenix Total-T cost?
A one-month supply of Nugenix Total-T costs $64.99 costs at GNC and $63.69 on Amazon. On both sites, you can set it up as a recurring delivery, which I don’t recommend if you’ve never used it before; however, it does make the product a bit cheaper.
What else should you know about Nugenix Total-T?
- No prescription required: Again, no prescription is required for Nugenix Total-T. However, as with any new supplement regimen, I recommend consulting a medical professional before beginning use.
- No subscription required: While this is true, Amazon and GNC try to get you to sign up for monthly deliveries. Just pay attention when you buy this product from those retailers.
- Customer Reviews: This is my biggest problem with Nugenix Total-T. It’s a product that has been on the market for a long time, which is both a blessing and a curse for customer reviews. There’s a large number of customer reviews, which is common when the product is sold on GNC and Amazon, but the issue is that the reviews are all over the place. Some customers love the product, while others hate it. In my opinion, Nugenix Total-T is stagnant as a product — its ingredient profile and dosages just haven’t kept up with other products in the market, and that’s reflected in the wide range of reviews it has received from customers.
PROS: Nugenix Total-T is a convenient option because of how widely it’s available at large retailers like GNC and Amazon, and there are many customer reviews to check out.
CONS: Nugenix Total-T is just stuck in the past with its ingredients and dosages. At this price point, there are better options and ingredients for men over 50.
Are there any side effects when using any of these testosterone boosters?
If you’re over 50 and considering using testosterone boosters, there are some potential side effects to consider, even though they are considered rare.
Some of these potential side effects include:
- Acne: Testosterone can increase the production of sebum, an oily substance that can clog pores. For me, this has never been an issue — I just use a men’s body and face wash in the shower.
- Aggression and irritability: This can happen if you have high testosterone. If you believe this is happening after trying a testosterone booster, you can buy an at-home test at your local pharmacy or visit your doctor to have your testosterone levels tested. However, if you’re over 50, it’s doubtful you’ll run into this issue.
- Sleep apnea: If you’re over 50 and overweight, testosterone boosters may cause sleep apnea. I’ve said this multiple times, but please consult a medical professional before starting any new supplement, especially if you have complicating health factors like obesity.
- Prostate enlargement: Prostate health is vital for all men over 50 — it helps maintain normal sexual and urination functions. High testosterone levels can potentially cause prostate enlargement, so it’s something to monitor if you start taking a testosterone booster.
- Upset stomach: I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s generally best not to take a testosterone booster on an empty stomach. I always ensure I eat a healthy breakfast when taking my testosterone boosters.
- Testicular shrinkage: A cold shower isn’t the only thing that can cause shrinkage. In rare cases, a testosterone booster can cause your testes to shrink. Please monitor this regularly while using a testosterone supplement.
Conclusion: Best Testosterone Boosters for men over 50
While testosterone naturally decreases as you age, testosterone boosters offer a practical way for men over 50 to fight back. Consisting of safe and natural ingredients, testosterone boosters can lift your mood, strength, sex drive, and overall health.
When evaluating different testosterone boosters, consider the ingredients, dosages, price, and who the product is designed for (For example, TestoPrime is a well-balanced booster while TestoFuel emphasizes strength and muscle gain). The great thing is that you can easily test out these products for yourself to determine which works best for your lifestyle and health.
In the end, the question you have to ask yourself is this: is it worth $60 every month for the opportunity to get your youthful energy, mood, and sex drive back?
For me, the answer is yes, but I trust that you’ll make an intelligent decision either way, especially if you’ve made it this far in the article! As always, please consult a medical professional before starting a new supplement regimen.
When you’re over 50, it can seem that the boundless energy of your youth is long gone, but that doesn’t have to be the case. You’re still young, and there are simple ways to increase testosterone to realize more energy, strength, and libido. Along with a testosterone booster, adequate sleep, a healthy diet, and exercising regularly will do wonders to increase your testosterone levels naturally.
After analyzing countless testosterone studies and articles to distill all this information for you, I recommend TestoPrime as the best testosterone booster for men over 50.
If you’d like to continue researching testosterone boosters, here are additional resources to help with your health journey.